Professor Gao received his BS in Physics (1981) from the Central-South University of Technology, Changsha, Hunan, China, and his PhD in Physics (1986) from Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. After a postdoctoral position in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the University of Minnesota, Professor Gao joined the University as an Assistant Professor of Physics in 1988. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 1994 and to Professor in 1999.
Professor Gao's research interests lie in the general areas of Chemical, Biological and Condensed Matter Physics, and particularly in the area of Surface Physics. His research involves the investigation of physical phenomena at solid surfaces and interfaces by examining their electronic and structural properties. His recent work has studied the electronic interactions and morphology of interfaces and interface formation; the structural and spectroscopic properties of nanostructures; the transient behavior of charge transfer across interfaces; interfaces in organic semiconductor devices; and ultrafast dynamics of photoexcited electrons in solids.
For further details, go to Professor Gao's home page at: http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~ygao.
- H. Ding and Y. Gao, “Evolution of the Unoccupied State in Cs-Doped Copper
Phthalocyanine,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 053309 (2008).
- T. He, H. Ding, N. Peor, M. Lu, D.A. Corley, B. Chen, Y. Ofir, Y. Gao, S.
Yitzchaik, and J. Tour, “Silicon/Molecule Interfacial Electronic
Modifications,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 130, 1699 (2008).
- H. Ding, K. Green, and Y. Gao, “Electronic Structure Modification of
Copper Phthalocyanine (CuPc) Induced by Intensive Na Doping,” Chem. Phys.
Lett., 454, 229, (2008).
- H. Ding, Y. Gao, M. Cinchetti, J.-P. Wustenberg, M. Sanchez-Albaneda, O.
Andreyev, M. Bauer, and M. Aeschlimann, “Spin Injection and Spin Dynamics
at the CuPc/GaAs Interface,” Phys. Rev. B78, 075311 (2008).
- M. Cinchetti, K. Heimer, J.-P. Wüstenberg, O. Andreyev, M. Bauer, S. Lach,
C. Ziegler, Y. Gao, and M. Aeschlimann, “Determination of spin injection
and transport in a ferromagnet/organic semiconductor heterojunction by
two-photon photoemission,” Nature Material, 8, 115 (2008).
- Y. Gao, “Organic/Metal Interface Properties,” in Introduction to Organic
Optoelectronic Materials and Devices, Ed. S. Sun and L. Dalton, 637
(Taylor & Francis CRC Press, New York, 2008).
- H. Ding and Y. Gao, “Electronic structure at rubrene metal interfaces,”
Appl. Phys. A95, 89 (2009).
- H.J. Ding, Kiwan Park, and Y. Gao, “Evolution of the Unoccupied States in
Alkali Metal-doped Organic Semiconductor,” J. Elec. Spec. Relat. Phen.
174, 45 (2009).
- Huanjun Ding, Kiwan Park, Yongli Gao, Do Young Kim and Franky So,
“Electronic structure and interactions of LiF doped tris
(8-hydroxyquinoline) aluminum (Alq),” Chem. Phys. Lett. 473, 92 (2009).
- J. H. Wei, Y.L. Gao, and X.R.Wang, “Inverse Square-Root Field Dependence
of Conductivity in Organic Field-Effect Transistors,” Appl. Phys. Lett.
94, 073301 (2009).
- Do Young Kim, Jegadesan Subbiah, Galileo Sarasqueta, and Franky So,
Huanjun Ding, Irfan and Yongli Gao, “The effect of molybdenum oxide
interlayer on organic photovoltaic cells,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 093304
- D.Y. Kim, F. So, and Y. Gao, “Aluminum phthalocyanine chloride/C-60
organic photovoltaic cells with high open-circuit voltages,”
Sol. E. Mat. Sol. Cells 93, 1688 (2009).
- Y. Gao, “Interface in Organic Semiconductor Devices: Dipole, Doping, Band
Bending, and Growth,” in Organic Electronics :Materials, Processing,
Devices, and Applications, Ed. F. So, 141 (Taylor & Francis CRC Press, New
- Yasuhiro Shirai, Jason M. Guerrero, Takashi Sasaki, Tao He, Huanjun Ding,
Guillaume Vives, Byung-Chan Yu, Long Cheng, Austen K. Flatt, Priscilla G.
Taylor, Yongli Gao, and James M. Tour, “Fullerene/Thiol-Terminated
Molecules,” J. Org. Chem. 74, 7885 (2009).
- C. C. Zhao, X. H. Chen, C. Gao, M. K. Ng, H. Ding, K. Park, and Y. Gao,
“New organic semiconductors for thin-film transistors: Synthesis,
characterization, and performance of 4H-indeno[1,2-b]thiophene
derivatives,” Synthetic Metals, 159, 995, (2009).
- Y. Gao, “Surface Analytical Studies of Interfaces in Organic Semiconductor
Devices,” Materials Sci. Engr. Rep. 68, 39 (2010).
- Irfan, H. Ding, and Yongli Gao, D.-Y. Kim, J. Subbiah, G. Sarasqueta, and
F. So, “Energy level evolution of molybdenum trioxide inter-layer between
indium-tin-oxide (ITO) and organic semiconductor,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 96,
- H. Ding, C. Reese, A. J. Mäkinen, Z. Bao, and Y. Gao, “Angle-resolved
photoemission study of rubrene single crystal,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 96,
- M. Zhang, Irfan, H. Ding, Yongli Gao, and C. W. Tang, “Organic Schottky
barrier solar cells based on MoOX/C60 junction,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 96,
- Irfan, H. Ding, Yongli Gao, C. Small, D.Y. Kim, J. Subbiah, and F. So,
“Energy level evolution of air and oxygen exposed molybdenum trioxide
films,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 243307 (2010).