9/18/03 – 2/4/04 Mendon Muon Run
Stage III Data Analysis
1. Use the pressure-corrected muon data from the Stage II Data Analysis for this activity.
2. Copy all of the data to the second sheet of the excel file, and then sort the data according to K index. To do this, highlight all of the data, then click on the data tab at the top of the screen, then click sort. Sort the data according to K index, or column H. The data should now appear with all of the K index = 1 data on top, then followed by the k index = 2 data, etc.
3. Create a small table near the top of the page in columns L and M. Label column L “k index”, then create a column of 1-9 below it. Label column M “avg muon rate”. Click on cell M4 just to the right of the K index = 1 cell. Click the edit formula tab (=), and click the formula options button that looks like an upside down triangle (to the left of the X tab). Click the average function. Click the small icon on the right of the Number 1 display, then proceed to highlight all of the pcor rate (pressure-corrected rate) data in column I that corresponds to K index = 1. When you finish highlighting all of the data that you need, click the small icon on the right side of the narrow display, then click OK. An average rate should appear in cell M4.
4. Repeat the procedure for K index = 2 – 9.
5. When you are done, use the small table that you have made to graph Average pressure corrected muon rate vs. K index. Refer to the attached instructions for help. Don’t forget to label your axes.