Pre-College Experience in Physics
PREP is a summer science program July 13-24, 2020 for selected students currently in 9th or 10th grade from Rochester area public and private high schools. Our aim is to encourage young women's interest in science. Occasionally 8th grade students are accepted.
The two week commuter program, on the University of Rochester campus, provides an introduction to physics and science through a sequence of hands-on, inquiry-driven activities with experienced instructors. Tours of many of the University's research facilities and presentations by researchers give PREP students exposure to a range of science and technology careers.
- Learn about the "laws of physics" by seeing them in action
- See how these skills and concepts relate to real life
- Meet real scientists as an exploration of scientific careers
- Find out new things and get a taste of college science
- HAVE FUN with other students interested in science!
- Tuition is free to all participants (thanks to the support of our sponsors listed below).
- Students are expected to commute to the program; housing is not provided.
- Participants provide their own transportation and lunch.
- Attendance required: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily.
- No previous physics is required. NO HOMEWORK!
- No college credit is awarded for participation. However, PREP does provide exposure to the college environment, including sessions with current undergraduates and an admissions counselor.
Application to this program can be done using our web-based application form.
Alternatively, applicants can also download an application, with current program dates and application deadline. A recent report card should be included in the application package sent to the University. All application materials will be held in confidence by the screening committee and will not be returned. The application deadline is April 30 and acceptance notices will be sent out in early May.
For more information, contact:
Ms. Connie Jones, Administrative Assistant
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Bausch and Lomb 253
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0171
Voice mail: (585) 275-5306
FAX: (585) 273-3237
Professor Steven Manly
PREP is organized and supported by:
- The Department of Physics and Astronomy - University of Rochester
- The DOE and NSF US groups of the CMS Experiment at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN