Application to the Graduate Program
Students are considered for admission into the graduate doctoral degree program with the Department of Physics and Astronomy after submitting an online application, the instructions for which are given below. Our application deadline is January 15th.
- Our application cycle is currently closed, please check back here for a link to the new application later this year.
- Upload copies of all transcripts from university level work (undergraduate and graduate) to the on-line application. Please do not mail hard copy transcripts at this time. We expect all transcripts for application review to be uploaded to the on-line application only.
- At least three letters of recommendation from people who can comment on your potential for graduate study. Recommendations are submitted through the on-line application and are due by our application deadline.
- Your official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general exam. School Code: 2928, Dept. Code:0808, sent officially from ETS.
- Your official score on the GRE Advanced Physics exam, sent officially from ETS.
- If you are not a native English speaker, your official score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam. Inst. Code: 7267 Dept. Code:76 or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If you have, or will have, received a degree from a US institution or an institution where the primary mode of instruction was in English, then the TOEFL/IELTS submission will be waived.
- Statement of Purpose (personal statement), uploaded to the on-line application. The content of the statement of purpose is up to each individual applicant. Generally, the statement of purpose should include information that you would like the admissions committee to know about you and your aspirations to join our program.
A Note About Test Scores: The exams in items 4--6 are administered by external testing agencies at certain fixed times throughout the year. Please arrange to take these examinations sufficiently early so that the testing agency can forward the official scores to the University of Rochester by our application deadline. We do not have minimum required scores for the GRE, GRE Physics, TOEFL or IELTS. Our admissions committee will consider test scores along with the rest of the full completed application.
Our Graduate Admissions Committee begins its deliberations after the application deadline. Decisions are usually announced in February or March. Only completed applications are given full consideration, so you are therefore encouraged to be sure your application is submitted and comlpeted by our application deadline.
The application fee is $60. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to request a fee waiver.
Please complete an inquiry request here for more information. Our Graduate Program Coordinator will receive your inquiry and reply back.